10.20.2010

{ homemade laundry soap }



First of all let me say that I am an avid recycler,

and as such, I honestly get a little tired of seeing how much waste one family can create

by simply buying and using all the cleaning and beauty products needed to maintain a household.

I especially detest most packaging { sorry, I know it's necessary } , it's just not pretty,

and I'm always looking for prettier ways to store the daily essentials.


So, when I ran across a fellow bloggers post on making her own cleaning products I was super 

interested in giving it a try myself.  So, I purchased a book that she recommended called


Elissa, I know you are no longer blogging, but if you happen to read this post,

the book is a fantastic resource...thank you for sharing.


One of the recipes that I've tried myself already is the one for homemade laundry soap.

I love it, it's so easy to mix up when you need it, and it's kinda fun too.

I also love being able to store it in a lovely container of my choosing,

and no more big bulky plastic laundry bottles to have to recycle.





Here you see my empty laundry soap container

and all the ingredients you will need to make your very own laundry soap.




Depending on how much detergent you want to make at one time,

or how large your container is you can double, triple, or quadruple the recipe accordingly.

It takes quadruple the recipe to fill my container this full.

{ this amount also uses only one bar of soap for 2 cups of soap flakes }


Here's the recipe... in case you would like to give it a try.




Now,  I know that I'm eliminating one big plastic container, 

and in it's place I now have three others... 

however, these ingredients are also used for many other

homemade cleaning products around my home, 

and they still last twice as long as  the other cleaners.


Tip 1 : the least expensive place I've found to buy the Borax is Target
{ it's more than double at the grocery store }

Tip 2 : the Washing Soda can be hard to locate, I purchased my first box online
{ my local Ace Hardware carries it, so check around locally first }

Tip 3 :  buying the baking soda would be much more economical at Costco or Sam's
or someplace similar where you can buy it in bulk.


I hope you'll give this a try,  I really have been very pleased with the way it works,

especially in my HE washer, as all the ingredients are low sudsing.



Happy Humpday!

:: peace & love ::

Carrie

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Hi!! I have started following your blog a while back but I think this is my first comment I've left! So, "HI!, I'm Amee."
    I may have to give this a try! Is there anything we could add to make it smell like all the nice smelling detergents that are on the market?
    I love your blog by the way. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing, i must try this! and i think it would make a great gift as well,
    xo,
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amee, so glad to meat you and glad to have you as a follower. Fortunately, I just found that Ivory has a new Aloe scented soap, I really like the smell, and it's much nicer than the original scent. You could probably add some essential oils, but I would do some research first to be sure they wouldn't harm clothing.

    Lulu, yes it would make a great gift. I was actually already thinking of making a basket for some family members including some homemade cleaning supplies in pretty containers as well as some homemade scrubs and such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to try this~ thanks for the recipe and for the hint about the aloe scented Ivory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, I'm proud of you for doing this! It also sounds like fun to make your own. I might just give it a whirl!

    Thanks for sharing...

    XOXO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info I love H/made cleaning products and nice to know you can use it in HE washers too.I use a lot of baking soda and vinegar in my cleaning.~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't find washing soda where i live

    ReplyDelete

I love seeing your lovely faces & reading your sweet comments. Thanks for taking the time to visit me : ) * I do my best to respond by e-mail, if I miss you please forgive me. peace & love * Carrie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...